Table of Contents
Introduction to Living in Batumi
Are you considering living in Batumi? This complete guide is tailored for expats who are looking to make Batumi their new home. Batumi is a vibrant city located on the Black Sea coast of Georgia. With its stunning beaches, modern infrastructure, and thriving expat community, Batumi has become an attractive destination for foreigners seeking a high quality of life in a beautiful setting. In this guide, we will delve into various aspects of living in Batumi, including housing, healthcare, education, transportation, and more. So, let’s dive in and discover why Batumi is the perfect place for expats to call home!
Housing in Batumi
One of the first things you’ll need to consider when relocating to Batumi is finding suitable housing. The city offers a wide range of housing options, from modern apartments to charming houses. Whether you prefer living in the city center or in a more peaceful neighborhood, Batumi has something for everyone.
Renting an Apartment
Renting an apartment is a popular choice among expats in Batumi. The rental market in the city is diverse, and you can find apartments to suit different budgets and preferences. Areas like Old Boulevard and New Boulevard are particularly sought after, as they offer proximity to the beach and various amenities.
If you’re planning to stay in Batumi for the long term, buying property may be a viable option. The real estate market in Batumi has been booming in recent years, with many new developments springing up. It’s important to do thorough research and seek professional advice before making a purchase.
Most popular neighborhoods in Batumi
- Old Boulevard: This area offers a mix of historical charm and modern development. It’s close to the Black Sea coast and features the famous Batumi Boulevard, making it a desirable location for residents and tourists alike. Due to its prime location, property prices along the Old Boulevard can range from $1,000 to $2,000 per square meter or more.
- New Boulevard: The New Boulevard area is an extension of the Batumi Boulevard and has been undergoing significant development with new residential complexes, hotels, and recreational facilities. Its proximity to the sea and the availability of modern amenities make it an attractive option. Property prices along the New Boulevard might start from $1,000 per square meter and can go up to around $1,800 or more.
- Orta Batumi: This neighborhood is known for its central location, with easy access to various parts of the city. It offers a mix of residential buildings, shops, and dining options. The average property price per square meter in Orta Batumi might range from $800 to $1,500.
- Sherif Khimshiashvili Street: This street is located near the seafront and is known for its vibrant atmosphere, lined with cafes, restaurants, and shops. It’s a popular area for both locals and tourists. Property prices on Sherif Khimshiashvili Street could range from $1,000 to $1,800 per square meter.
- Gonio: If you’re looking for a quieter and more suburban environment, Gonio might be a good option. It’s located a bit outside the city center and offers a mix of apartments and houses. Property prices in Gonio might be in the range of $700 to $1,300 per square meter.
- Makhinjauri: Another suburban option, Makhinjauri is located a short distance from Batumi and offers a peaceful environment. It’s well-connected by train and road to the city center. Property prices in Makhinjauri might start from around $600 per square meter.
When it comes to healthcare, Batumi provides a high standard of medical services. The city has several modern hospitals and clinics that cater to both locals and expats. The healthcare system in Batumi is affordable, and many doctors speak English, making it easier for expats to communicate their needs.
Public and Private Hospitals
Batumi has both public and private hospitals, offering a range of medical specialties. Public hospitals are generally more affordable, while private hospitals provide a higher level of personalized care. It’s advisable to have health insurance that covers both public and private healthcare facilities.
Pharmacies and Emergency Services
Pharmacies in Batumi are well-stocked and easily accessible. In case of emergencies, the city has a reliable ambulance service that can be reached by dialing the emergency number. It’s always a good idea to have a list of emergency contacts handy, including the contact information for your embassy.
If you have children, you’ll be pleased to know that Batumi has a good education system. The city boasts a number of reputable international schools that offer high-quality education in English. These schools follow international curricula and provide a multicultural learning environment.
International schools in Batumi follow globally recognized educational programs, such as the International Baccalaureate (IB) or the British curriculum. Some of the renowned international schools in Batumi include School X and School Y. These schools prioritize holistic development and offer a wide range of extracurricular activities.
For expats who prefer their children to integrate into the local education system, Batumi has a number of public and private schools that provide education in the Georgian language. It’s worth noting that proficiency in the Georgian language may be required for enrollment in local schools.
Getting around Batumi is convenient, thanks to its well-developed transportation network. Whether you prefer public transportation or owning a vehicle, there are various options available to suit your needs.
Batumi has a reliable public transportation system, consisting of buses and minibusses known as marshrutkas. These modes of transportation cover the entire city and provide an affordable way to commute. The bus and marshrutka routes are well-defined, making it easy to navigate around Batumi.
Taxis and Ride-Sharing Services
Taxis are a popular mode of transportation in Batumi. You can easily hail a taxi on the street or use ride-sharing services like Bolt or Yandex. These services offer a convenient and reliable way to travel within the city. It’s always advisable to check the fare before getting into a taxi or using a ride-sharing app.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is Batumi a safe city for expats?
A: Yes, Batumi is considered a safe city for expats. The crime rate is relatively low, and the local authorities take measures to ensure the safety of residents and visitors. However, it’s always important to exercise caution and take common-sense precautions to stay safe.
Q: What is the cost of living in Batumi?
A: The cost of living in Batumi is generally lower compared to many Western countries. Housing, groceries, and dining out are affordable, making it an attractive destination for expats seeking a good quality of life at a reasonable price.
Q: Can I find employment opportunities in Batumi?
A: While Batumi offers some employment opportunities, the job market may be more limited compared to larger cities. However, there are industries such as tourism and hospitality that often hire expats. It’s advisable to secure a job before moving to Batumi or have a source of income to sustain yourself.
Q: Do I need a visa to live in Batumi?
A: Yes, as an expat, you’ll need a valid visa to live in Batumi. The specific visa requirements will depend on your country of citizenship. It’s important to check the visa regulations and obtain the necessary documents before relocating to Batumi.
Q: What is the climate like in Batumi?
A: Batumi has a humid subtropical climate, characterized by mild winters and warm summers. The city receives a significant amount of rainfall throughout the year, which contributes to its lush greenery and beautiful landscapes.
Q: Are there recreational activities for expats in Batumi?
A: Absolutely! Batumi offers a wide range of recreational activities for expats to enjoy. From water sports and beach activities to exploring the vibrant nightlife, there’s always something exciting happening in Batumi.
Living in Batumi as an expat offers a unique blend of natural beauty, cultural experiences, and a welcoming community. This complete guide has provided insights into various aspects of life in Batumi, including housing, healthcare, education, transportation, and more. Whether you’re seeking a relaxed beach lifestyle or a vibrant city experience, Batumi has it all. So, why wait? Start planning your move to Batumi and embrace the expat life in this enchanting Georgian city!
At Expat Haus we provide a free consultation for Expats willing to relocate in Batumi. Get in touch with us and book your free consultation today.